reflections

PART A

Before taking creative writing in the 11th grade, I wasn’t the most active writer. English class was about the extent in which that I wrote. I was unsure of my writing identity. After taking the class, I`m now sure of my writing identity. I am a writer than speaks about things others won’t talk about. My feature article is a great example of this. I have not developed greatly as a writer because I’ve never taken writing this seriously. Going into this class, I felt as if people already had an edge over me because they had already distinguished themselves when it comes to identity. I spent a long time deciding what I wanted to be in my writing, but when I found it, I knew it was exactly what I wanted it to be. The two areas that I feel like I’ve developed most as in the class are in my ideas and voice. I found a voice in my writing that I’m proud to share. A voice that won’t let anyone tell it what to write about. My writing is about freedom and truth, describing the details of life that are always overlooked. My Ideas may not be new and amazing but they come from me and that’s all i could ask for. They relate to what I feel and that’s really what my blog is about. Advice I Would give to a future creative writer would be to not let what other people are doing affect what you want to do. Take the time you need to create something you’re proud of, no matter how long it takes….. Just as long as you actually do it. My future goals for my writing include the continuous use of my blog, and taking creative writing 30 next year.  

PART B

I think that I’ve developed a great deal as a blogger. Starting out as a new blogger was hard, creating my blog,changing it constantly (changing everything sometimes and nothing always is a good way to reflect my thoughts on how much I keep changing my blog. I`m most likely going to change my blog again after writing this final). But my blog, in my opinion, is amazing. It’s nothing like anyone elses and that’s what makes it fantastic. There is a lot to consider when critiquing my blog. Yes, it may lack content, but each piece is written with heart and passion. Nothing on my blog, whether it be any of the pages or posts, was published without this feeling of content. I wanted to post only what I was proud to post, which is why I have the bare minimum on it. After the course, I plan to continue to post on it, eventually creating a portfolio of what may one day be put on a resume if seen fit to do so. Two student blogs I’ll continue to follow are Liam’s and Jade’s blogs. They are both amazing writers and I look forward to hopefully reading more of their work.

PART C

I had a lot of aha moments in creative writing this year. The majority of them happened by accident while doing emulations during the writers seminars. I loved to listen to the creativity of other people, which is why i love the emulation times so much. My greatest aha moment from this year was the moment I heard :  

To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be destroyed.   

Something about this really resonated with me and will stay with me for as long as I write. A future goal will be to expand on this idea and create a piece from it. As a reader, I’ve accomplished a lot in creative writing class. It has given me a chance to read more than i ever have had before and i’m grateful for it. Reading changed me because while I watch movies and analyze texts, I’m constantly looking for motifs. My love for reading is responsible for that. I was able to read of 5 books this semester because of the allocated time for reading. Next, I plan to get a head start on my university reading list. Yes, I will take creative writing again because I love the atmosphere in the classroom. I am allowed to express my feelings without being made fun of by others which I love. My next steps as a writer will be to improve my formatting and GUMPS.

PART D

Studying a published author for my writers seminar showed me that writers come in different forms. Authors, artists, poets, etc. I’m glad that my group chose the writer it did. Tyler Joseph is an amazing individual that allows his work to speak for him. To me, this is what a true writer does. They let their work speak for any questions. All answers are within a great writers work. The only other person I would have wanted to do was Ayn Rand. She is inspiration and her writing is by far, the best that I’ve ever read. Genres play a big part in writing. They set the stage for the main act. The genre that interests me the most is tragedy. I am a big fan of Liam’s blog. I think that the creativity and abstractness of his blog design are mind blowing. His writing is even more so. He style of writing is something spectacular and deserves proper recognition. Jade’s blog is 100% truth. Nothing on that blog can be proven as untrue because she writes from her heart. She is the sweetest girl I’ve met, and has big things headed for her. Liza has a blog unlike any other as well. It’s all in Russian translated to English which is amazing. The time and effort involved in doing that would be too much for me to handle. Her dedication is spectacular.

http://myriagon.edublogs.org/

http://tickledpurple.edublogs.org/

http://recklessromance.edublogs.org/

PART E

The devil and his lettuce is an article I wrote to help raise awareness of cannabis without a bias towards or against it. The article speaks on the legalization of cannabis, the challenges the cannabis industry faces, and the incorporation of cannabis into rural areas like the City of Calgary. The writing process for the article was quite difficult because I felt as if I had so much to say and not enough room the write it all. It was hard writing this article because I had to keep my personal views on cannabis separate from the information in the article. This was done to keep the article authentic in a true unbiased form. The process was very time consuming because I often found myself putting personal opinions in the article, which I tried very hard not to do. This article is one of my favorite pieces because the topic is something I’m quite passionate about. Not enough people see cannabis for the help it gives, while also keeping the negatives of cannabis use in mind.

A gelid cafe booth is a poem emulated from two very famous paintings. The poem is about two people trapped in the same place and time, with two very different mindsets. The narrator appears to be in love with the girl sitting in the cafe booth next to him, but refuses to say anything to her. He draws comparison between the two, giving detail to the differences between them. This poem is my second favorite piece on my blog for many reasons. I spent the better part of a week writing the poem, trying my best to create something I was proud of. I struggle a great deal with poetry because I’m not the greatest at using metaphors. This piece is the highlight of my poetry from this year, making this the best poem I’ve ever created. Hands down.